Celery Juice Recipe For High Blood Pressure: Let Nature Help
When it comes to natural ways to tackle blood pressure, celery is one such very easily available and good to taste source, or so say the researchers and scientists. Let’s examine their claims about the efficacy of celery juice recipe for high blood pressure a little bit – and end with the actual recipes today!
There have actually been numerous studies that have exhibited the use of celery to varying degrees for the management of high blood pressure. We’re listing two instances here:
One of the earliest tests of the modern times was carried out at the UCMC (University of Chicago Medical Center) and quite by accident. The person on whom the results were observed was the father of a scientist there. He had been consuming 4 stalks of celery a day – and in one weeks’ time, his blood pressure had dropped! The Systolic had dropped from 158 to 118 and the Diastolic from 96 to 82.
However, this test wasn’t carried out under controlled conditions, and to actually find out if the celery was the boon in disguise, a separate study was carried out by a physician and her father at the Whitaker Wellness Center. They however, tried celery juice mixed with orange juice and sure enough, at the end of a month, there was marker change in their systolic levels. For the physician – 105 when it was 120 at the start. Her father – 128 when it had been 148 at the start!
In a separate study…
|This time the test was carried out in the University of Chicago by doctors there. And it was seen that Celery does really work to lower blood pressure! The study revealed that celery, especially the juice, contained a chemical that was actually helping to smoothen out and relax the muscles that line your blood vessels.|
This results in the widening of the vessels, in other words, dilating them. The widening, however, counteracts the symptoms of high blood pressure and results in lower systolic and diastolic readings.
And these modern day experiments aren’t all. There is actually a lot more that celery has to its name. Shall we check those out?
The earliest instances of the use of celery to treat high blood pressure were found among the ancient Greeks. In fact, Hippocrates, the Greek physician who lived during 460 BC – 377 BC and is widely acknowledged as the Father of Medicine actually prescribed celery for the treatment of nervous tension – which is a known side effect of high blood pressure. In other words, the Greeks would use celery for the treatment of conditions relating to hypertension and possibly even hypertension.
On the other hand, in ancient Chinese medicine, and even in present day herbal medicine, celery – stalk, seed or even juice – are often used to control blood sugar as well as bad (LDL) cholesterol levels in the blood.
Its discovery as a valid ‘medicine’ in Western studies has been, in comparison, pretty recent.
So, now let’s take a look at…
It is an oft asked question -exactly what does celery contain which is able to affect blood pressure levels so drastically. And the answer to that is quite simple.
Celery is rich in 3 compounds, each working in its own way to control high blood pressure:
- 3-n-butylphthalide – this is a Phthalide that helps to smoothen the muscles that line the blood vessel. The smoothening of these muscles leads to a widening of the blood vessels – and lowers the pressure that the blood exerts while coursing through your veins. Phthalides have also been linked to lower levels of the stress hormone – another contributor to high blood pressure.
- Apigenin – this is a plant based anti-oxidant. Persistent high blood pressure is sure to damage the blood vessels. But these anti-oxidants help to protect your blood vessel walls in all possible ways.
- Omega-6 fatty acids – according to certain studies, inflammation in the body is one of the leading causes of blood pressure and hypertension. And omega-6 fatty acids, when taken in the right amount, help to combat inflammation in the body.
Therefore, celery, or in particular the juice of celery has a three-fold effect on hypertension!
And finally we come to…
Today we have 4 recipes for you… read on for the details of each:
1. ‘Golden’ Juice for High Blood Pressure
|To make this juice, you need:|
And making the juice is as simple as:
2. Mean Green Juice For Hypertension!
|For this one you will need:|
To make the juice the instructions are roughly the same:
3. Hypertension Green Smoothie!
|This is more a smoothie than a juice. It uses roughly the same ingredients but the method is different :|
As for how to make it:
4. Beetroot and Celery Juice
|Beets are already a great thing to have to reduce blood pressure.|
Add to that the celery and you have a SUPER-JUICE for hypertension! Here’s what all you need for this:
To make this juice here’s all you need to do:
And now that we have tackled the recipes, we move onto the details of how much and how often to drink celery juice. And here we deal with the other nitty-gritties as well.
Now that you have got the celery juice recipes, we’ll take a look at how this therapy works.
At the start we should mention that you can always have the celery stalks as they are – and that would aid in digestion too. But if you were having it for hypertension, that’d be a lot of celery to eat – and you may start to feel too full. So, when you are trying the hypertension celery therapy, juicing is always more convenient.
And now for the schedule that you need to follow:
- At the start, when you are working on reducing your blood pressure, you need to start with 12-16 stalks of celery a day! When you convert to juicing, it roughly translates to the juice of 4 stalks 3-4 times a day. Any of the recipes we have featured is equivalent to each of these required servings.
- However, once your blood pressure has stabilized then you need to switch to just one glass of your juice of choice per day. Just ensure that it still contains 4 large stalks of celery. That is the maintenance dose.
- Since that is a maintenance dose, it is also not a bad idea to have either 4 celery stalks or the equivalent juice daily to ensure that you do not develop hypertension, if you are prone.
The fact is that celery juice has more benefits than one – and hypertension is just one! So go ahead, make any celery juice recipe for high blood pressure – either the ones we have featured or others, and be rewarded with good health and lowered blood pressure!